Sunday, May 8, 2011

We Made It Through That Water


I went to New Orleans this past summer to photograph. I got into my rental car upon arriving and started flipping through the radio stations before finding some old school hip hop and settling in for the drive. The next song that came on was this exciting, booty-shaking brass band song about surviving Katrina. Best possible accompaniment for my drive into town. While driving I wrote down a few lyrics to be able to look the song up later. I kept trying to listen to that station the rest of my trip, but it never played anything other than the same Top 20 hits on shuffle after that. Months later I found the song on the Treme soundtrack. This is it. It still sounds important. It's a thoroughly satisfying and cathartic mix of pure joy and years of frustration getting released. And if it doesn't make you wanna dance, I don't know what to say.

Free Agents Brass Band's We Made It Through That Water

*Image credit- "Home of Lionel Williams Who Drowned in the Flood, New Orleans, LA, 2006" by Will Steacy

No comments:

Post a Comment