Friday, January 21, 2011

Versions: A Change Is Gonna Come

You know when you love something so much that you just want to buy it over and over again? I get that way with my favorite songs. I have recently been listening to Sam Cooke's A Change Is Gonna Come on repeat. I even downloaded the opening string section as my current ring tone. Sam Cooke's original version is about as perfect as a song can be, mixing nuance and emotion with politics in a way that is rarely seen.

Many people have covered it and the power of the song is such that it calls forth masterful performances from all who approach it. I checked one day and realized I had about 6 covers of the song, so I did what any normal person would do and promptly downloaded every version of the song I could find. The current tally is 24 and I've put together a mix of my favorites, though I don't know who else would want a mix of the same song being played by 19 different artists. Instead, I present the abridged version with four of my favorite interpretations, each one with its own unique twist.

Brenton Wood's A Change Is Gonna Come

Prince Buster's A Change Is Gonna Come

Ben Sollee's A Change Is Gonna Come

Baby Huey's A Change Is Gonna Come

No comments:

Post a Comment