Friday, January 21, 2011

A Note For The Engaged

It's that time of life. Weddings galore. I started putting together a mix for one of my favorite engaged couples and ended up with as many unhappy marriage songs as happy ones. The mix has yet to be sent as I'm afraid of jinxing what will hopefully be years of happy marriage. Instead, I'm posting one of my favorite inappropriate marriage mix songs here, where Billy Bragg reminds his old friends (in true punk fashion) that marriage, like all institutions, was something their youthful selves would never have accepted. The song has triumphantly happy horns and that classic early Billy Bragg jangle that make the twist of the sardonic lyrics that much more poignant.

The repeated hook: "And marriage is when we admit our parents were right."

Billy Bragg's The Marriage can be found on Talking With The Taxman About Poetry.

2 comments:

  1. Off the top of my head:

    "Marriage"- Descendents**
    "Need You Around" - Smoking Popes
    "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Joy Division
    "Car" - Built To Spill
    "Good to Be on the Road Back Home" - Conershop
    "Two" - Ryan Adams
    "I'm the Man Who Loves You" - Wilco
    "You and I" - Wilco
    "Glory of True Love" - John Prine**
    "In Spite of Ourselves" - John Prine**

    **my personal favs of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chad! I can't believe I'd forgotten the Descendents song. And In Spite of Ourselves is perfect.

    Here's where I was at:

    "4 Eva"- Trick Daddy
    "Let's Get Married"- Al Green
    "Too Young To Be Married"- The Hollies
    "Not Too Young To Get Married"- Bob B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans
    "Chapel of Love"- The Dixie Cups
    "Wedding"- Shugo Tokumaru
    "If You Ever Need A Stranger (To Sing At Your Wedding)"- Jens Lekman
    "We Ain't Even Married"- (Young) Pioneers
    "Oh My Bride"- Deadly Snakes
    "American Wedding"- Gogol Bordello
    "The Marriage"- Billy Bragg
    "No Children"- The Mountain Goats
    "There Will Be No Divorce"- TMG
    "Going To Port Washington"-TMG
    (at this point I felt bad about the negative turn so...)
    "What The World Needs Now Is Love"- Jackie De Shannon
    "One Love"- Bob Marley
    "Love"- Cinerama

    ReplyDelete