Thursday, January 12, 2012

Africa!!!



Here we go. It's been awhile. Some of my friends have asked me to start posting mixes again, so despite the fact that I'm in a much more interesting place with far less free time (no longer making this act necessary to keep a grip on my sanity), I'll still dig back in and post new mixes on occasion.

I created this mix for my sister (a high school history teacher) who is teaching a unit on Africa. We were talking about how hard it is to conceptualize how normal a life so foreign can be and I asked if she would be interested in a mix of African music to introduce them to give them. As usual, I couldn't keep it to just one disc. While this is in no way complete, it does contain music from Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Ethiopia, South Africa, Ivory Coast, Benin and/or Togo, Sierra Leone, Kenya, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Rwanda. There's a fair amount of '70s soul/James Brown influenced music, Fela and kin are healthily represented, and there is music both old and new, loud and quiet.

I hope you enjoy it.

Africa Mix 1
Africa Mix 2

*Image credit- Philip Kwame Apagya

No comments:

Post a Comment